Jackson Pollock wrote:
"When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It's only
after a sort of 'get acquainted' period that I see what I have been about. I
have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting
has a life of its own."
John Yau, an American poet,
based a poem which was centered around the above quote by Pollock. Here it is:-
830
Fireplace Road
When
I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing
When aware of what I am in my painting, I'm not aware
When I am my painting, I'm not aware of what I am
When what, what when, what of, when in, I'm not painting my I
When painting, I am in what I'm doing, not doing what I am
When doing what I am, I'm not in my painting
When I am of my painting, I'm not aware of when, of what
Of what I'm doing, I am not aware, I'm painting
Of what, when, my, I, painting, in painting
When of, of what, in when, in what painting
Not aware, not in, not of, not doing, I'm in my I
In my am, not am in my, not of when I am, of what
Painting "what" when I am, of when I am, doing, painting.
When painting, I'm not doing. I am in my doing. I am painting.
When aware of what I am in my painting, I'm not aware
When I am my painting, I'm not aware of what I am
When what, what when, what of, when in, I'm not painting my I
When painting, I am in what I'm doing, not doing what I am
When doing what I am, I'm not in my painting
When I am of my painting, I'm not aware of when, of what
Of what I'm doing, I am not aware, I'm painting
Of what, when, my, I, painting, in painting
When of, of what, in when, in what painting
Not aware, not in, not of, not doing, I'm in my I
In my am, not am in my, not of when I am, of what
Painting "what" when I am, of when I am, doing, painting.
When painting, I'm not doing. I am in my doing. I am painting.
When I first read this
poem, I was awed and utterly confused at the same time. It took me some time to
figure it out, but there's nothing that a few re-reads can't cure. And now
today, this is a poem that gives me faith. Faith that there are other's like me
out there. Our 'paintings' are what we make, what we create, what, as I've
mentioned, ‘what our lives fragments consist of’. What makes us who we are, and
our life worth living for our very own self. Your.... work. I'm calling it
'work' over here. Right. So where was I?
We all have that one thing
we cherish the most. That thing that we like most doing. It could be anything,
ranging from math to counseling your friend. Because you create a thought, a
perspective, an object, of things related to that field of ‘work’.
The above poem, according
to my perspective, shows us the simple and basic message that can be said in such
a case about your ‘work’. The fact that, when you do your ‘work’, you get lost
in it. You get lost in the magic and depth of it. You, honestly, don’t even
realize how you got from one point to another in it, but the real thing is,
it’s okay, because you really don’t care much, as long as you’re pursuing your
work. Because you focus on the important thing there. You focus on what’s
happening, on what you think, and how you go about it. You’re not left drifting
through a pile of what’s gone.
So, the poem above shows us
what someone’s ‘work’ means to them, and their thought towards that meaning.
This ‘lost’-ness (I’m creating words. Just go with it), according to others,
may be ridiculous. That’s the thing. It is. Heck, it borderlines on insanity!
But would you ever change that? I don’t think so. Actually, I Hope not. Because
this is what makes you YOU. And if being lost for a certain span of time is the
price, then pay it.
“Reality is a lovely place.
But, I wouldn’t want to live there” –Adam Young.
Follow that for a while
(^). Escape into your own lovely place, and create your own little piece of
Reality. You’ll be happier. And, the world will get something out of it. So,
let’s just carry on with our ‘paintings’. Could someone pass me the brush,
please?
-AM ∞
so glad to see that your thoughts are developing in a way where you can look at more than whats on the surface! Kudos!
ReplyDeleteThank You :D
Delete